Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 October 2008

Tears of Love



When 56 year-old British widow, Janet Ordell of Blacksmiths Hill, Hertfordshire, married a Gambian 21 years her junior, never in her imagination did she ever thought that her already broken heart would be reaped into pieces by a man she loves so dearly and calls husband.

After nearly six years of marriage, which was characterised by cheating, lies and deception, Janet's heartless and gold digging Gambian husband has left her not only heart broken but with huge financial debt of £200,000.

Janet's story has already attracted headlines in British Magazines and below we reproduce her sad story. Pls read on.


"My husband of 23 years had died unexpectedly and I was left heartbroken. Time passed and eventually I met a man who made me feel alive again. He was good looking, charming and attentive and within days I was madly in love.

But things weren't straightforward. At 29, John Sarr was 21 years my junior. That was the first problem. The second problem was that he came from the Gambia and was in Britain on a student visa. My friends and family were worried and said: "You are making a mistake. He's only using you to stay in the country.

I told John and he said: "Ignore them. I will prove them all wrong."

SIx weeks after we met, we decided to get married. My mum, my sister and my youngest son refused to attend the wedding. I didn't let it ruin my day. As I gazed into my new husband's eyes, I had no doubts about our future.

Four happy months passed. Then John started planning a trip to see his family in the Gambia. "I will come with you. I would love to meet them," I told him. "You better not," he replied. "Its so hot. You won't feel comfortable."

I was hurt but I didn't let it show. Then he started going out with friends and coming home later and later. Soon he was disappearing for days at a time. When he eventually returned I'd ask: "Where have you been?"

"I don't like being asked so many questions," he'd reply. "I'm not going to be kept prisoner. I will do what I want."

I loved him so much and was frightened of losing him, so I put up with his bad behaviour. Three years into our marriage, he came to me and said: "My grand mother needs to repair her roof. I think we should remorgage your house." I couldn't bear to refuse John anything. I paid £25,000 into his bank and he boarded a plane to the Gambia.

When he returned, he showed me a video of the work he had done there. There was also a footage of his family celebrating a christening. "I paid for that too," he told me. "Oh right," I said.

In fact, it was my money that he used. But he seemed happy so I didn't mind. A few months later, he had another request. "I think I should buy some land in the Gambia. Why don't you remorgage the house again?" he asked. "I am not sure that's a good idea," I replied. He said:"I'm only thinking of our future Janet."

This would increase the repayments. But I reasoned that because John was over 20 years younger than I was, he would still be working when I retired. In later years he would be able to afford to look after us both.

He flew back to the Gambia and purchased an area of land. When he returned, he showed me the paperwork. "Why it is in your name?" I asked. "It's always in the man's name," he said, then changed the subject.

In time he asked me to remorgage the house for a third time. Reluctantly, I agreed to his suggestion. But my trust in him was beginning to wane. When he went off to the Gambia, I decided to do some investigating.

I found the keys to his car, unlocked the door and climbed inside. There were scraps of paper everywhere and when I looked at them, I began to cry. They were love notes and women's phone numbers. Then I found an open packet of condoms. All I could think of was how my family and friends had warned me.

When John returned, I confronted him. "I know what you've been doing. I found the condoms and the notes from your girlfriends in your car," I said. "Its your fault," he told me. "You always put your family first. You don't care about me."

I felt bemused. I'd done everything I could to show John how much I loved him. I went away for the weekend trying to clear my head. When I came back home, half my possessions were missing and John had disappeared too. We has been married for six year. I have ended up totally broke and owe £200,000. John has probably moved to his next victim by now. I wish I had listened to the people who really cared about me."

If you have any comments on this story, write to info@allgambian.net or papak196@yahoo.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. What a greedy and heartless man? This man is a shame to all Gambian men. I hope he reaps what he have shown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! Is that all?

    It’s not entirely clear to me why a cleaver, older and intelligent lady (as it appears to be the case in this story) would readily marry someone within a very short space of time of meeting them especially after being warned by friends and family.

    One would have thought fairness and impartiality require that John's side of the story is worthy of hearing too. Yes John must have disappeared, from her, but it won't be remotely difficult for a serious journalist to locate John or his friends or family for comments. Given the relative number of Gambians in the UK (and for that matter even back in the Gambia) and their interconnections, that is not an insurmountable obstacle to over come. And if efforts in this regard prove fruitless, that too should be said as well.

    This is only hypothetical preposition but should John comes back with a different provable story, then (subject to other issues unknown) you may find yourself with a hefty bill for liable or defamation.

    AK Ceesay (a reader)

    PS – I don't know either party to this story; so I have no vested interest to declare; only concerned and intrigued by the story and how it has been put too readily.

    ReplyDelete